Preparing for an event like the 5K may see trivial for beginning runners, since reaching the distance by itself does not represent a serious challenge, but meeting specific time targets requires some planning and serious effort.
Below are some of the 5K training plans which can help you achieve your goals.
- Hal Higdon: 5K Training [8 weeks]
- Runners World: The Beginner 5-K Plan [5 weeks]
- Runners World: The Intermediate 5-K Plan [5 weeks]
- Runners World: The Ultimate 5-K Plan [6 weeks]
- Jeff Galloway’s 5K Training [15 weeks]
- Furman Institute FIRST 5K (pdf) [12 weeks]
Warming up before a 5K run
Some advice on warming up, and essential ingredient to achieving your goals.
- Doing 1-2 miles of slow running
- Doing 3 to 4 strides on 50-100 meters
- Doing a bit of in-place jogging while waiting for the race to start
Here is an article from Running Times magazine on 5K warmup.