Tokyo Marathon (東京マラソン) is the largest marathon race in all of Asia, and without doubt the land of the rising sun, Japan, is one of the most marathon crazy nations in the world. The event has about 30,000 places for the marathon, for which almost 300,000 people apply, with final selections based on a lottery.
The Newest of the World Marathon Majors
The event is a relatively new entrant in marathon circle, with the first edition happening not too far back in 2007. The Tokyo Marathon is a unique race as a member of the World Marathon Majors because it is relatively new. The inaugural year of the Tokyo Marathon had over 25,000 participants. The weather in also great in Feb in Japan, with a mean of 7 degrees C, ideal for a good run.
The seventh Tokyo Marathon, which will be held in 2017, will be the first race in the 2017 – 2018 World Marathon Majors scoring period. The Tokyo Marathon is the first World Marathon Majors event to be based in Asia. The marathon is capped at 35,500 runners.
Men: 9:10 am
Women: 9:10 am
Given the limit seats and the huge demand, the registrations to Tokyo Marathon are done by lottery. To participate in the race you can register in the official website.
Entry fees: Marathon – Domestic 10,800 Yen (from overseas: 12,800 Yen)
Course / Route Map
Tokyo Marathon course is now past, the future course and a symbol of Tokyo. Tokyo Metropolitan Government building — Iidabashi — Imperial Palace — Hibiya — Shinagawa — Ginza — Nihombashi — Asakusa Kaminari-mon — Tsukiji — Ariake (Toyosu) — Tokyo Big Sight. The course is certified by the JAAF and AIMS.
Time Limits & Cutoffs
- The course time limit for the marathon is 7 hours.
- Timing chip will be used to moniter the running time in this event.
Men: Dennis Kimetto (Kenya) 2:06:50 (2013)
Women: Atsede Habtamu (Ethiopia) 2:25:28 (2012)
Prize Money & Awards
- Top eight overall male and female finishers will be presented with awards. (They are not eligible for age-group awards)
- Age-group awards will be presented to the top three male and female runners in each age-group category (at five-year increments) (Award certificates will be mailed after the race day.)
- Prizes will be awarded based on results and in accordance with a separate set of rules.
T-Shirts, Medals, Certificates
- All participants will receive a T-shirts at T-shirt pickup desk at the EXPO venue.
- Time record certificates will be issued only to marathon runners who have completed the race within the designated time limits.
Water Stops & Refreshments
- Fluid stations will be placed along the course at 5km, 7km, 10km, 12km, 15km, 17km, 20km, 22km, 25km, 27km, 30km, 32km, 35km, 38km, 40km.
- Customized formula drinks can be made available only for invited athletes and other elite runners.
Expected Race Day Weather
- There is likelihood of a rapid change in weather on the day of the race.
- Be sure to prepare for both cold weather and rain. If you expect more than 5 hours to finish, be prepared fully.
- Average Temperature of the past 5 years: Min – 5.9°C, Max – 12.3°C