Surf City USA Half Marathon takes place along the beaches of Southern California’s Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach, CA, USA, since 1996. This award-winning course is considered one of the best half marathon courses in the country. As the most popular track, it is well known for being scenic and flat. Runners come from all over to experience this exhilarating run. Start along Pacific Coast Highway and pass by the famous Huntington Beach pier. Enjoy the beauty of the Bolsa Chica Wetlands as you start your turn. Kick it up a notch for the crowds at Main Street on your way to a monumental finish line moment!
The participant limit is approximately 17,000 runners.
Event TypeHalf Marathon
Men: 7:45 a.m.
Women: 7:45 a.m.
To participate in Surf City USA Half Marathon you can register on the official website. Standard race package for the half marathon costs $116 plus processing fee. The participant limit is approximately 17,000 for the half marathon.
Course / Route Map
Start on Pacific Coast Highway between the ocean and the Hilton Waterfront Beach Hotel. Running north, the Huntington Beach Pier and Main Street are less than a mile away. At the 5K start banner, look to the left to enjoy the famous Huntington Beach Pier. Just past the second mile marker, at the first retro surf band station, turn inland on Seapoint and head toward Huntington Central Park. On this stretch, you will encounter the course’s only incline, between miles 3 and 4. Take your turn at the bluff, reenergize at the aid station and head down Seapoint back toward the ocean. Enjoy the ocean view all the way down to PCH.
Just past mile five, take a right on PCH and absorb the energy from the ocean! Breathe in the fresh sea air as you continue north on the highway. The Bolsa Chica Reserve wetlands roll out to the right. Just before mile eight at Warner, turn back south on Pacific Coast Highway. It’s flat, it’s fast, and it’s all yours for the next five miles! Before you know it you are back at the pier, less than a half mile from the finish line. It’s a straight shot from there, and the finish line banner is just ahead. Spectators line the highway to cheer you to the finish!
Race Profile / Elevation Map
Highest point less than 100′ above sea level. The course has an incline between miles 3 and 4.
Time Limits & Cutoffs
The course time limit for the half marathon is approximately 5 – 5.5 hours. All must finish by 1:30 p.m. regardless of wave start time. The half marathon is timed using ChronoTrack Timing.
Men: James Grabow 1:03:37 (2011)
Women: Sylvia Mosqueda 1:14:26 (2007)
Prize Money & Awards
- Win the half marathon with a course record and you will receive a $1,000 prize bonus! (Qualifying Rules Apply)
- The top male and female finishers will receive commemorative awards. Age division winners also receive special recognition (1st through 3rd in each age group)
T-Shirts, Medals, Certificates
- All participants will receive Long Sleeve Performance Shirt – Women’s Cut V-neck or Unisex Crew Neck Style
- Awarding Winning Signature Surfboard Medal (Finishers Only)
- FREE Photo Quality Finisher Certificate from brightroom (Finishers Only)
Water Stops & Refreshments
- Aid Stations include fresh water, Vitalyte sports drink, energy foods, and snacks.
- At the finish line – fruit juices
Expected Race Day Weather
- Ave. Temp at the start: 48 degrees
- Average High for this date is around 66 degrees
- Average Low for this date is around 44 degrees