Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon is held every year in Louisville, Kentucky during the two weeks preceding the first Saturday in May, the day of the Kentucky Derby. The Marathon, which debuted in 2002, draws nearly 2,000 entrants. Runners from all 50 states and several foreign countries annually complete the scenic 13.1- and 26.2-mile courses that start and finish in downtown Louisville.
Apr 30, 2016
Men: 7:30 am
Women: 7:30 am
Early bird registration fees is $70 for the Marathon. To participate in Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon you can register in the official website.
Course / Route Map
The start line is on Main Street at Louisville Slugger Field (Preston and Main Streets. The finish line is on Preston and Witherspoon Street (near Waterfront Park). Runners in both races will share the same start and finish lines. Marathon participants will follow the “mini” course until just past the 7-mile marker, where they will split off Central Avenue onto Third Street. A second race split will be at Third and Breckinridge Streets. The course includes running through historic Churchill Downs and the largest Victorian neighborhood in the U.S., as well as running past Louisville Slugger Museum, Museum Row and the University of Louisville. The course is scenic, yet challenging, including a hilly stretch through Iroquois Park and passing through historic Churchill Downs race course.
Race Profile / Elevation Map
Time Limits & Cutoffs
- The participants must be able to keep a 13:45 minute per mile pace for the full Marathon.
- The course has a six hour time limit.
Prize Money & Awards
- M/F 1st Place – $1,500
- M/F 2nd Place – 1,000
- M/F 3rd Place – $500
T-Shirts, Medals, Certificates
- Asics Tech Shirts will be available in both male and female cut shirts for all participants.
- Certificates will be given to all the finishers
- There is a medal engraving available inside Runners Reunite located at Kroger’s Fest-a-ville at Waterfront Park.
Water Stops & Refreshments
- Fluid and Medical Stations are positioned along the race course
- Water and Mixed Berry (Blue) Powerade are offered at Fluid Stations
- Strawberry Banana Powerbar Gel is available along the route.
Expected Race Day Weather
The temperature typically varies from 10°C to 19°C and is rarely below 4°C or above27°C.