The Chevron Houston Marathon takes place every year in January in Houston, Texas. The Chevron Houston Marathon offers participants a unique running experience in the city. The first marathon, run on December 30, 1972, featured 113 runners and a crowd of approximately 200 people. The fast, flat, scenic single-loop course has been ranked as the “fastest winter marathon” and “second fastest marathon overall” by Ultimate Guide To Marathons. Additionally, with more than 200,000 spectators, Ultimate Guide to Marathons has ranked the Chevron Houston Marathon the fourth most crowd-supported marathon.
Men: 7 am
Women: 7 am
To participate in Chevron Houston Marathon you can register in the official website. The entry fees is $125 for the Marathon if registered earlier.
Course / Route Map
The start line for the Chevron Houston Marathon is in front of Minute Maid Park, just north of the George R. Brown Convention Center (GRB). Please note that there are separate start lines for marathon and half marathon participants. Marathon and half marathon participants merge at mile 2. From downtown, participants run through the Heights and Montrose neighborhoods. At approximately mile 8, half marathoners split off from the marathon course and return to finish at the GRB. Marathoners continue through Rice and West University, passing the Galleria, Tanglewood and Memorial Park areas, before returning to finish at the GRB. Finish line clocks display runners’ unofficial time.
Time Limits & Cutoffs
- The time limit for completing the marathon is 6 hours and the half marathon is 4 hours.
- The course closes on a rolling schedule based on a 13:45 per mile pace.
- Timing chips are used to record the runners time.
Men: Tariku Jufar (ETH) 2:06:51 (2012)
Women: Alemitu Abera (ETH) 2:23:14 (2012)
Prize Money & Awards
- The winner of the Chevron Houston Marathon will be awarded $40,000.
- Prize money will be paid 7-deep (equal for men and women): $40,000-20,000-10,000-6,000-4,000-3,000-2,000.
- There also be a 4-deep USA purse (also equal for men and women): $5,000-2,500-1,000-500.
T-Shirts, Medals, Certificates
- All registered participants will receive a participation T-shirt at packet pick-up.
- All official marathon finishers will receive a finisher shirt, medal and mug.
Water Stops & Refreshments
- Water and Gatorade Endurance Formula (Lemon-Lime), the official on-course sports drink of the Chevron Houston Marathon, are available every 1.5 miles beginning at mile 2.
Expected Race Day Weather
- Average low temperature: 45° F
- Average high temperature: 63° F
- Mean average temperature: 54° F