Garmin FR 410
Garmin FR 405CX
Garmin FR 405
Garmin FR 305
Garmin FR 405
Garmin FR 910XT
Comrades Marathon is an ultramarathon of approximately 90 km (approx. 56 miles) run in the Kwazulu-Natal Province of South Africa between the cities of Durban and Pietermaritzburg. It is the world’s largest and oldest ultramarathon race. The direction of the race alternates each year between the “up” run (87 km) starting from Durban and the “down” run (89 km) starting from Pietermaritzburg.
The race was run for the first time on 24 May 1921. It was the idea of World War I veteran Vic Clapham, to commemorate the South African soldiers killed during the war.
May 31, 2015
To participate in Comrades Marathon you can register in the official website. Entries for the marathon will be cut off at 18,000 runners. Early Bird Entry for South African Entrants is R320.00.
Entry forms will only be available from 1 September 2013. Entries close on 30 November 2013 or as soon as the entry cap of 18000 is reached. Runners who have completed 25 Comrades Marathons or more gain free entry to the event.
Course / Route Map
The distance for 2014 is approximately 89km. The race starts at City Hall in Pietermaritzzburg and finishes at The Sahara-Kingsmead Cricket Stadium in Durban. The course passes through Ethembeni School for Handicapped Children, Camperdown and Cato Ridge, Alverstone Mast, Highest Point, Little Pollys, Arthur’s Seat, Wall of Honour and 45th Cutting.
Time Limits & Cutoffs
- Only those who finish the race within the 12-hour cut-off will receive Badges and Medals.
- All entrants must run with their own ChampionChip.
Men: Leonid Shvetsov 05:24:47 (2008)
Women: Elena Nurgalieva 06:09:24 (2006)
Prize Money & Awards
- Prize Money (Men & Women): 1st - 350,000.00, 2nd - 175,000.00, 3rd - 130,000.00, 4th - 65,000.00, 5th - 50,000.00
- Badges and Medals: Gold - First 10 Men and Women, Wally Hayward - Position 11 to sub 6hrs 00min, Silver - 6hrs 00min to sub 7hrs 30 mins
T-Shirts, Medals, Certificates
- All the finishers will be given Badges and Medals.
- The event will be timed using the ChampionChip Timing system.
Water Stops & Refreshments
- There are 50 refreshment tables on the route.
- Energade, Pepsi is the carbonated cola beverage and water sachets will be available at each table.
- Certain tables will offer biscuits, segments of oranges, bananas, cooked potatoes, energy bars and chocolates.
Expected Race Day Weather
- It is mid-winter at this time of the year, but days are usually clear with an average daytime temperature of 3° – 24°C in Pietermaritzburg.