Comrades Marathon is an ultramarathon of approximately 90 km (approx. 56 miles) run in the Kwazulu-Natal Province of South Africa between the cities of Durban and Pietermaritzburg. It is the world’s largest and oldest ultramarathon race. The direction of the race alternates each year between the “up” run (87 km) starting from Durban and the “down” run (89 km) starting from Pietermaritzburg.
The 2015 Comrades Marathon will be run for the 90th time since the race was first staged in 1921. The start gun will be fired in Durban on Sunday, 31 May 2015 and the race ends 12 hours later at the Oval Cricket Stadium in Pietermaritzburg.
Event TypeUltra Marathon
To participate in Comrades Marathon you can register in the official website. Early Bird Entry for South African Entrants (1 September to 30 September 2014 ONLY) is R350.00. South African Entry Fee (1 October 2014 to 30 November 2014) is R380.00. Entry fee is waived for holders of 25 or more Comrades medals.
Entry forms will only be available from 1st September 2014. Entries close on 30 November 2014 FOR ALL RUNNERS INCLUDING INTERNATIONALS, or as soon as the entry cap of 20000 is reached. Entries for the 2015 Comrades Marathon are limited to a maximum of 23 000. (e.g. if 23,000 entries are received by 15 November 2014 then no further entries will be accepted).
Course / Route Map
The distance for 2015 is approximately 89km. The race starts at City Hall in Pietermaritzzburg and finishes at The Sahara-Kingsmead Cricket Stadium in Durban. The course passes through Ethembeni School for Handicapped Children, Camperdown and Cato Ridge, Alverstone Mast, Highest Point, Little Pollys, Arthur’s Seat, Wall of Honour and 45th Cutting.
Time Limits & Cutoffs
- Only those who finish the race within the 12-hour cut-off will receive Badges and Medals.
- All entrants must run with their own ChampionChip.
Men: Leonid Shvetsov 05:24:47 (2008)
Women: Elena Nurgalieva 06:09:24 (2006)
Prize Money & Awards
- Prize Money (Men & Women): 1st – 350,000.00, 2nd – 175,000.00, 3rd – 130,000.00, 4th – 65,000.00, 5th – 50,000.00
- Badges and Medals: Gold – First 10 Men and Women, Wally Hayward – Position 11 to sub 6hrs 00min, Silver – 6hrs 00min to sub 7hrs 30 mins
T-Shirts, Medals, Certificates
- All the finishers will be given Badges and Medals.
- The event will be timed using the ChampionChip Timing system.
Water Stops & Refreshments
- There are 50 refreshment tables on the route.
- Energade, Pepsi is the carbonated cola beverage and water sachets will be available at each table.
- Certain tables will offer biscuits, segments of oranges, bananas, cooked potatoes, energy bars and chocolates.
Expected Race Day Weather
- It is mid-winter at this time of the year, but days are usually clear with an average daytime temperature of 3° – 24°C in Pietermaritzburg.