Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run is an annual 10-mile (16 km) road race in Washington, D.C, USA. Founded in 1973 originally as a precursor training run for elite runners planning to compete in the Boston Marathon, the race has evolved over the years into a local race for runners of all abilities. The race is scheduled for the first Sunday of each April, meant to coincide with the bloom of the cherry blossoms given as a gift in 1912 from the mayor of Tokyo. The race is part of the National Cherry Blossom Festival of late March and early April in the city.
There are also 5K Run/Walk and 1/2 Mile Kids’ Run taking place along with the main event. The proceeds from this event support the 170 Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. There will be six waves of approximately 2,500 runners each. The waves will start at three to five minute intervals.
Elite Women: 7:20 A.M.
Men: 7:30 A.M.
To participate in Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run you can register in the official website. Applicants are selected through lottery. The Results of the Lottery Will Be Posted By 10 AM on Tuesday, Dec. 16.
Course / Route Map
The Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile starts and finishes on 15th St. at Jefferson Dr. The 5K Run-Walk starts and finishes on Independence Ave. about 200 yards west of the intersection of 15th and Independence Ave.
The race course covers many historic and memorable sights in Washington, D.C. Among the landmarks along the route are the Jefferson Memorial, the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, the Washington Monument, Arlington National Cemetery, the Lincoln Memorial, the Watergate complex, Rock Creek Park, and the Tidal Basin.
Time Limits & Cutoffs
- Due to the large number of tourists in town for the cherry blossoms, the course will be open for a maximum of 2 hours and 20 minutes after the 7:30 A.M. start.
- Both the 5K and the Ten Mile Run will be scored using the B-Tag.
Men: Allan Kiprono (KEN) 45:15 (2012)
Women: Colleen De Reuck (RSA) 51:16 (1998)
Prize Money & Awards
- The top 10 men and top 10 women (international amd U.S.) will be given the prize money
- Awards will be given to Top 25 open male and female runners
T-Shirts, Medals, Certificates
- Participant short-sleeved T-shirts are given to all entrants.
Water Stops & Refreshments
- Water and Gatorade G-Series Perform will be available at the race site before the start, at 5 aid stations on the course (at 2.5 miles, 4 miles, 6 miles, 7.5 miles and 8.75 miles), and at the finish.
- In addition, DrinkMore water and Gatorade G-Series Perform will be available at the finish.
Expected Race Day Weather
- The normal temperature at race time is in the 40F to 50F range.