The Blue Cross Broad Street Run in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, has a 10-mile, point-to-point course which starts at the Central High School Athletic Field at Broad Street and Somerville Avenue. It finishes inside the Philadelphia Navy Yardat the end of Broad Street in South Philadelphia. This course is certified by USATF. The race is held on the first Sunday in May since 1980.
The event is the largest ten-mile road race in the United States. 40,689 runners participated in the 2012 event.
May 1, 2016
Men: 8:30 a.m.
Women: 8:30 a.m.
You can register on the official website of Blue Cross Broad Street Run. Registration for the 2015 Blue Cross Broad Street Run lottery will open on Sunday, February 1, 2015 and close on Friday, February 13, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
If you are selected to be participant through the lottery, you will receive a confirmation e-mail on February 17th and your credit card will be charged the $43.00 registration fee.
Course / Route Map
A 10-mile, point-to-point course starts at the Central High School Athletic Field at Broad Street and Somerville Avenue. The course is a pleasing run past the varied neighborhoods of Philadelphia along Broad Street. It finishes inside the Philadelphia Navy Yard at the end of Broad Street in South Philadelphia.
Race Profile / Elevation Map
Due in part to its nearly flat (actually slightly downhill) course, it has become a favorite in the running community for setting personal best times.
Time Limits & Cutoffs
All participants must be able to run a sub-15-minute-per-mile pace in this event. The race is timed using the ChronoTrack B-Tag timing system, a single-use bib tag.
Men: Patrick Cheruiyot (KEN) 45:14 (2007)
Women: Catherine Ndereba (KEN) 53:07 (1999)
Prize Money & Awards
The first five men and the first five women in all age divisions receive awards. The Blue Cross Broad Street Run features over $27,000 in Prize Money! General Monetary Prizes:
- 1st Place Male and Female $3,000 and Award
- 2nd Place Male and Female $1,500 and Award
- 3rd Place Male and Female $1,000 and Award
T-Shirts, Medals, Certificates
- Each registered runner will receive a Blue Cross Broad Street Run T-shirt
- If you upgrade to a tech shirt (the upgrade fee is $15) you will not receive the multi-colored T-shirt.
- All runners who finish will receive a medal.
Water Stops & Refreshments
- Water will be available along the course (start, 2.2 miles, 4.2 miles, 5.2 miles, 6.3 miles, 6.9 miles, 7.8 miles, 8.5 miles, 9.1 miles and finish).
- Gatorade® will also be provided at the 2.2, 6.3, 7.8, and 8.5 mile water stations and at the finish.
Expected Race Day Weather
Highest Average Temperature: 70°F
Lowest Average Temperature: 50° F