Below are the Boston Marathon qualifying times for 2016. The Boston Marathon is the world’s oldest annual marathon and ranks as one of the world’s best-known road racing events, and qualifying for it remains a challenge for runners. Qualifiers for the 2016 Boston Marathon must meet the designated time standard that corresponds with their age group and gender.
Qualifying times are met in competitions observing these same rules. Proof of qualification must accompany each athlete’s application, and participants are required to be 18 years or older on race day.
The qualifying times below are based upon each athlete’s age on the date of the Boston Marathon in which they are participating. There are only 30,000 entries allowed to run the race each year.
- For the 2016 Boston Marathon, qualifying times must be run on or after September 13, 2014
- Achieving one’s qualifying standard does not guarantee entry, but simply the opportunity to submit for registration.
- The acceptance of official race entrants will be based on qualifying time, with the fastest qualifiers (in relation to their age and gender) being accepted first until the race is full.
- Only a certified full marathon distance will be accepted for qualifying. Distances shorter than a full marathon will not be accepted.
- All qualifying times are subject to review and verification.
- Minimum age requirement for the Boston Marathon is 18 years of age on race day.
- All standards below are based on official submitted net time.
- The qualifying times below are based upon each athlete’s age on the date of the 2016 Boston Marathon (April 18, 2016).
- For a list of the top feeder races for the Boston Marathon, click here.
- The Boston Marathon does not designate which races are official Boston Qualifying events. You must contact the race directly to see if they are certified.
Boston Marathon 2016 Qualifying Times
(effective September 13, 2014)
|18-34||3hrs 05min 00sec||3hrs 35min 00sec|
|35-39||3hrs 10min 00sec||3hrs 40min 00sec|
|40-44||3hrs 15min 00sec||3hrs 45min 00sec|
|45-49||3hrs 25min 00sec||3hrs 55min 00sec|
|50-54||3hrs 30min 00sec||4hrs 00min 00sec|
|55-59||3hrs 40min 00sec||4hrs 10min 00sec|
|60-64||3hrs 55min 00sec||4hrs 25min 00sec|
|65-69||4hrs 10min 00sec||4hrs 40min 00sec|
|70-74||4hrs 25min 00sec||4hrs 55min 00sec|
|75-79||4hrs 40min 00sec||5hrs 10min 00sec|
|80 and over||4hrs 55min 00sec||5hrs 25min 00sec|