The inaugural Half Marathon Report is now available from Running USA, and there are no surprises. This 13.1 Miler or 21.1 KM Half Marathon event in leading the growth of running in the USA. In 2009, Running USA reported a phenomenal 24% growth (worldwide) in the number of finishers compared to the previous year. This has really taken of after 4 years of growth in the 10-20% range.
Some Key Highlights from the Report (2009)
- Half Marathon 2009 finishers – 1.1 Million
- Growth in HM Finishers count over 2008 – 24%
- 626 Half Marathons in US
- 17 Half Marathons with a finisher count of more than 10,000
- Women lead the growth with 57% finishers, clearly dominating the Men who are left behind with 43% finishers, real surprise here!
- The most popular age bracket for Men was 25-34 years, while for women it was 35-44
- Median finish times for Men is 2:00:21, for Women 2:19:47
In terms of the largest events worldwide, the Goteburg Half Marathon in Sweden led the field with 40,500 finishers. The largest Half Marathon in the US was the OneAmerica 500 Festival with 30,000 finishers.
Read the complete Running USA Half Marathon Report for more details and in-depth statistics.